13 April 2006

The joys of cricket talk

Some people say that there's too much cricket, but I can never get enough. It's Australia - Bangladesh Test time again.

...scored half centuries...
...bowlers returned to form...
...was on a 6 not out...
...the ball onto his stumps on the last delivery before tea from spinner...

Those are clips from the sports pages, as exotic to a cricket enthusiast as gutta-percha to a dentist, but charming as gutta percha, to me.

But all that charming stuff is dull dull dull when held against tonight's thrilling commentary on the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's TV news. My back was turned, so I didn't catch what the play was, nor would I have understood what I saw, but it must have been dramatic, because the Australian commentator burst out with "Dearie me!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a cricket enthusiast for more than 23 years and I have never found the Australian to be in the back foot like the current test match against Bangladesh. It shows that the Australian team is losing its invincibility.